The Practice Group Manager is intended to be the “chief of staff” to the Firm’s leaders assisting with internal operations, attorney development, professional staff management, and other similar responsibilities to support the Firm’s goals and the continued success of NFC. The Practice Group Manager is expected to perform all responsibilities listed below with a strong level of engagement and commitment to providing superior service to the Firm’s professionals.
Hours: This is a full-time job. Firm business hours are generally Monday – Friday 9AM – 5PM but the role requires flexibility to work outside of business hours based on Firm needs.
Location: The individual in this role is expected to work on the Firm’s current hybrid schedule, working in the Chatham, NJ office two days a week (currently Wednesday required plus either Tuesday or Thursday). This hybrid schedule is subject to change based on the needs of the Firm.
Classification: Exempt Position
Reports to: Head of Counseling Department
- Manage attorney staffing process, including evaluating attorney availability and assigning attorneys to matters based on client needs, experience, rates and preferences.
- Oversee and assist with utilization of attorneys, including reviewing utilization reports, communicating with attorneys regarding utilization and related planning, and working with Firm leadership on meeting utilization goals.
- Manage professional development plan for attorneys with HR department, including NFC University programming, CLEs, etc.
- Supervise administrative staff (currently 2 employees).
- Assist with fee estimates and other firm retention matters, such as responding to requests for proposals.
- Manage new hire/onboarding process of attorneys with HR department.
- Assist Department Heads with annual (or other) attorney reviews.
- Manage issues related to client invoices and liaise with operations team regarding same.
- Analyze non-billable work reports on regular basis.
- Liaise with all Firm practice groups and perform similar work for such departments as needed.
- Special projects as assigned by Department Heads and the Firm.
- Undergraduate degree required; J.D. preferred.
- At least five years of professional services experience; law firm experience required.
- Advanced working knowledge of MS Office, Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with virtual platforms such as MS Teams and Zoom.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with attorneys and professional staff.
- Highly organized, proactive and self-directed.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to Firm matters. Ability to work with meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize, manage multiple projects, and thrive in fast-paced environment with intense client service orientation.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of firm operations and sensitive employee and firm matters.
- Creativity in developing solutions and achieving results.
Salary Range (based on full-time): Starting at $115k – $125k
The Firm is providing this good faith salary range to comply with applicable law. The applicant’s final salary will depend on a number of factors including the applicant’s skills and experience.